Monday, April 2, 2012

The Legend


The Legend by *DarkSunRose on deviantART

I grew up on Zelda, my Father use to wake me up just so I could watch him beat the temple boss. It was the first game that really captured my imagination with a hero that would save the princess and the journey we would helped him through.

My sister and I use to always wonder about the princess. Who was she? I would make up stories and always hope that one day she would be the sword wielder. I started this piece with a story in mind ((my own interpretation of the origins of Zelda)) before a friend revealed her disappointment in the story line of "Skyward Sword".

It was a BIG slap in the face to find out what the creators decided, and as a fan I am deeply disappointed in the direction of what they consider a prelude to the Zelda arc. There is so much potential, so many ways to incorporate the nostalgic ideas already presented in the world that we, the fans, love. (how many of you look for the similarities of what carries over and how they find themselves in the new world in each game? I do!)

Zelda, in every game, felt like a figure that held the world in her hands. As if guided by a higher purpose even if she didn't fully understand it herself, Zelda guided the hero with a plea, "Stop Gannon."

I asked myself, "why is it legend of ZELDA? What made her so important that every princess afterwards was named after her?"
Thus the inspiration for my fanart.

In my imagination, Zelda held the Light and Gannon the Darkness. They say to keep balance both are needed.

What if the original Gannon and Zelda were once friends who undertook a quest to help the three goddess keep Hyrule in balance. And at the end of their journey, it was Gannon who made the ultimate sacrifice -- to take all the darkness within himself to spare Zelda, knowing that he would die over and over as a figure that everyone would despise.

Zelda could never kill her friend and so created a hero (our Link!) that would rise up when ever Gannon would reawaken.

My imagination for the story holds a sadness, because in it..Gannon would be the only one who would remember the true legend of Zelda and their quest for balance. Zelda, in her light, would be reborn only holding her duty and compassion for a lost soul who must be stopped.

Hope you enjoy the piece! I know its just an interpretation, but it was fun to make up story to a game that has always held a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment