Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Elf Sculpture - Part 3


Now that I have gotten sufficient sleep and my roommates are no longer able to distract me, it's time to continue!

Still learning a lot about placing hair on a sculpture. I've looked through many tutorials and I've seen a few different ways artist go about it. The process I've enjoyed so far has been by Natasha Red October. Another artist who shares her process is Patricia Rose.

Material for "MISSION: HAIR!"
Mohair - Has a nice soft texture and my experience with it so far has been positive. (found good deals on ebay!)

FabricTac - An adhesive found in any local craft store.

Here is the sculpture with the hair placed on. I've made a few choice parts in how it will lay on her forehead and in this picture, I am playing with how I would like her hair to be styled. Eee! This is my favorite part!

All that I have visualized so far is having it as an up hairdo. In the second picture it is shown in a bun, but when I started on actually forming the style my first step was to place her hair in a secure ponytail (in a position slightly above center of where I'd like the bun to be)


From the ponytail I made several braids that would wrap around a small bun created. The two front bang pieces were braided and then wrapped in gold wire.


-This is where I do a
victory dance-

Alas! More to do. After dancing in victory I realized that she needed a head piece of some sort.

Picture to the left is a table set up to get more stuff done!

I find it helpful to have an assortment of items laid out that could have the possibility of being used. Helps in pairing items together or seeing if things work well together.

Wish I had taken better pictures of her hair at the time, but later progress pictures will show more of her hair piece. Also, I added curls to her style afterward to help give it a more full feeling.

Curls were created by wrapping mohair around brass tubing (just like a curling iron!). It is then placed under water to dampen the hair before being placed into an oven of about 150-200 degrees for about 10-15 minutes.

This is where I must end for now. Next blog will contain the progress pics of her over jacket.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I loved this read! Glad you are updating more often. What a clever way to make curls in the mohair.
    I cannot wait to see her jacket & hairpiece!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Melissa ,i loved your doll.is wonderful.
    I loved their pointy ears and their hair.Everything in it is beautiful.hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duendes, Thank you for your comment! I have to admit that pointy ears are a lot of fun to sculpt.

    Vani, my goal is to update at least twice a month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doll is perfect. I love it so much.

    ReplyDelete